Friday, January 9, 2009

Nomad Life

Nomads according to Wikipedia....

"Nomadic people, (from the Greek: νομάδες, nomádes, "those who let pasture herds"), also known as nomads, are communities of people who move from one place to another, rather than settling down in one location."

Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a nomad? Technically, if you think about it, anyone who has moved is a Nomad. Well, I am about to find out what it's like for a while.

I am packing up all my earthly possessions and putting them into storage. A "SAM" to be exact. AKA Store And Move. The unit arrives in my driveway on February 26, 2009 my official date of becoming a Nomad.

The necessities (and my dog) are coming with me on a road trip of sorts. My first stop is Murfreesboro, TN, where I will be visiting with some friends of mine that I have not seen in YEARS!! Even though it is a short stop, I am looking forward to the visit. Hopefully my dog behaves himself and doesn't pee on their dog. lol. You think I am kidding, but I have seen him do this before, it's gross and then again, kind of funny. Hey "other dog" you are MINE, MINE, MINE!!!

The next stop on the agenda is Raleigh, NC where I will be visiting with my sis, and my "psuedo" sisters. This should be a fun time - a bunch of winos we will be!! I will be staying there for a spell, enjoying the last days of winter in a climate that is much more desirable than what I am used to.

When deciding to become a Nomad, one must pick and choose what to pack and what to store and also what to completely get rid of. This has been one of my biggest nomadic challenges in the last week. I thought maybe I would just sell everything, but I have furniture that I truly do not want to give up. My grandfather clock, my antique desk, my "princess" mattresses, my awesome couches, are just a few of the things I am not yet ready to let go of.

But even though I am storing everything, there are just things I need to stop carting around with me. Craigslist and ebay have become good friends of mine lately. Every time I walk through a room in my apartment, I look at things and say to myself - can that be replaced? If the answer is YES than it just HAS to go!! I am trying to simplify my life and this is just the beginning. Once I do find that place to settle into, I don't want hoards of things clogging up my karma.

Speaking of karma, does anyone need their karma scraped? I have a few friends that are thinking starting a "karma scraping" business. You laugh, but people pay to have their auras read and take their dogs to doggie therapy. Karma scraping would allow you to rid yourself of all prior karma and start over again. I think it's a great idea. In fact, I just might be their first customer.

Fresh karma and truly nomadic life - what more could I possibly ask for?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I gotta say, I admire your attitude and free spirit. I'm going to start calling you a gypsy soon ;)

Me? Maybe it's my Cancerian nature but I need structure and to be settled, so I will live vicariously through you!

Andi said...

All I have to say is it's about time that I live up to the Libran ways......

You only live once so you might as well enjoy it while you are here. :)