Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Short Night

Last night we only had 3 reservations, so it was a short but fun night. I had not worked since before we went to Tunisia, so it was almost a blessing in disguise. Even though I only worked 4.5 hours, I was exhausted today! I didn't get out of bed until 11 am - which NEVER happens!

Upon arrival, I immediately noticed that the kitchen had been re-arranged. I think it's going to take us a few weeks to get used to it, but I do like the new setup. There is much more room to plate and prep for the main courses.

I started by prepping the cold station and making sure everything was available in the cold station fridge. We didn't take things out to put them in the service trays, because the temp is slightly lower and why risk wasting food that we may not use. I washed some baby romaine and endive for the salads, roasted beets for the beet "salad", and made flower-shaped chevre that we use as a garnish. I heart chevre and would use it on almost anything....

Image'>Tom Curtis / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Anyway, I only ended up plating one salad and two desserts. Lady Chef made a change to one of the desserts, by adding some raspberry preserves along with the tart raspberries, so she showed me how to pipe them on. Good times.

I also was able to try one of her main dishes that she made with flageolet beans and lamb sausage. YUM!! It was really tasty and just what the Dr ordered! To top it off, I had a tiny bowl of my favorite Red Fire ice cream. I am so spoiled there and I love it!

More adventures to come, hopefully, since this winter is pretty slow at the restaurant. Since we just got slammed with about 8 inches of snow, we didn't have any reservations tonight. Boo! In the mean time, I am going to day dream about what it would be like to buy that little cafe' here in town and have my own little kitchen kingdom.......


1 comment:

COL said...

I'm dreaming that for you too!